Monday, January 29, 2007

Eno + Coldplay = ?

Brian Eno is currently at work with Coldplay, producing their next album. He was interviewed for BBC Radio 4 over the weekend and said the new album was “very original and very different from what they’ve done before.”

I'll admit I once hated Coldplay. I used to call them Radiohead-Lite. But now when I look at the pop music landscape, compared to most other bands on the radio/charts, Coldplay is damn good.

Eno is one of the most brilliant musical minds ever. He will not put up with the mediocrity or overly sentimental crap that this band has given in to in the past.

I remember before the last Coldplay album came out the band said something about the album being different and experimental but it was obviously not. It was a step forward for the band, but it was not the revolution to their sound that they claimed it would be. But if Brian Eno says your album is very original and different from what you've done in the past, I'm inclined to believe him. I am officially excited to hear this record.

4 comments:

Mark Thomas said...

I love how you and I are completely on the same wave-length when it comes to music. I've always felt that way about Coldplay. Good music indeed, but seems like a poor-man's U2 or Radiohead, for those lazy young hipsters who don't want to put in the effort of getting into one of the afformentioned real bands.

Greg said...

Hmmm... this could be really great. I'm excited now.

josiahnotjoshua said...

Totally agree about coldplay...what do you think they will sound like with Eno at the helm? It could be interesting. I wish he would bring out the "jazz" side of the band that was on their first album.

cjn said...

a bit of luck Eno pushes them in to the places where it seems they want to go and have tried but always pull back just when you start getting excited stop tormenting us and grow some fuzz on ya peaches mr martin and dare to explore. if this happens this album will be the shit